Shoei Modular Helmet: Roll Off Test ✓
This is definitely a plug. Not that they’re paying me to provide one but when it comes to gear, I feel it’s good to promote excessively. To date, I’ve owned three motorcycle helmets, my favorite being a Shoei modular helmet. These are their stories.
My first was a flat black (newbie cool), modular (newbie tech), Hawk (newbie CHEAP) dual-visor helmet minus the bluetooth system. It’s sun visor isn’t polarized, the modular attachment points often come loose and, in all of my genius, the flat black surface gained a sheen due to my use of chemical solvents to clean it. For the price, however, it was a smart purchase.
To clarify, Hawk makes a decent starter helmet. That is to say they’re protective, feature-rich and comfortable. Subsequently, mine would one day be downgraded to “backup”.
Next comes a modular helmet worthy of little mention. Coerced by a salesperson to buy a pair of “Phantoms”, I paid more money for something with less features that doesn’t break in (ever). I eventually returned both along with some other junk before walking out with a new favorite …
Enter the Shoei modular helmet.
- Like a pillow from some luxury resort, Shoei’s helmet padding is flawlessly comfortable.
- Earpads and a chin curtain eliminate wind entry, making for a quiet ride.
- There’s little if any buffeting (your head doesn’t get tossed around by wind).
- Every vent works. You can actually feel the air flow through while standing still.
- A fog resistant, pinlock insert comes with.
- The inner/secondary visor (tinted shade) is well polarized.
- Shoei modular helmets are among the most successful against the infamous roll-off test.
Shoei helmets consistently show very low impact response and the highest crash protection, especially for the full facial coverage and modular helmets.
For you current owners, here’s how to clean your Shoei modular helmet:
What Motorcycle Helmets Do You Prefer?
Often times, different designs fit different people’s heads. Which helmet make/model do you prefer most? What do you like about it and why? Your input is invited. Post an article!